Scotty Cameron is a legend, and his every move is carefully scrutinized by golfers around the world. It isn’t a surprise then that his 2018 Select line of seven putters was hotly anticipated prior to its spring launch. With new four-way sole balancing, Cameron has continued to evolve his putter line, which is already the standard in the industry.
“I’m at the point with the Select line of putters that now I’m hyper-focused on the finest details,” Cameron says. “Tour players pick up on things most people don’t, but those details can make a big difference in how a putter performs.”
The Select line features seven modern blade and mid-mallet versions: the new Select Laguna joins Scotty’s classic Select Newport, Newport 2 and Newport 2.5 blade styles, while the popular Fastback and Squareback names return in updated mid-mallet offerings. Rounding out the line is the heel-shafted mid-mallet Select Newport 3.
We caught up with Scotty Cameron at the PGA Show in January to ask what you can expect from the new Select putters.
- The Select line uses multi-material construction methodology of combining face inlays of either 303 stainless steel or 6061 aircraft-grade aluminum with stainless steel bodies for great balance, weight distribution, sound and feel.
- Some adjustments were made to the line. Contours and sight cues were altered to enhance alignment opportunities, while the designer also thinned the topline by giving each putter a slightly rounder radius. Finally, plumbing neck dimensions, edges and angles have been squared up for a cleaner look.
- Sound is always key for every club, and a putter is no different. This generation of Selects have 30 percent more vibration dampening material leading to a surface compression that creates a softer sound while preserving feedback on poorly struck putts.
- For the first time ever, Cameron has introduced a four-way balanced sole design for a faster setup and easier alignment at address. By shifting the balance point of each putter forward to account for the weight of the shaft and grip, Select putters sit perfectly square at address to promote easier alignment on virtually any lie.
Which one is right for you?
Cameron is a big proponent of fitting your stroke to the putter that is right for you. With that in mind, the Select line has three unique setups incorporating Cameron’s face inlays to complement each putter.
1) 2018 Select Newport, Newport 2, Newport 2.5 and Laguna models are modern heel-and-toe weighted blades designed to support flowing strokes. Each model features a 303 stainless steel inlay that is bonded to the stainless steel body. This fusion of materials provides golfers with great feel and feedback at impact.
2) For the player who needs more toe flow in their stroke, the 2018 Select Newport 3 is a heel-shafted mid-mallet, based on the classic Newport head shape. Multi-material technology was used to make the putter more forgiving, and a left-handed Newport 3 was also added to the line.
3) The Select Fastback and Squareback mid-mallets combine 6061 aluminum inlays with Cameron’s wrap-around face-sole technology. This configuration allows for perimeter weighting and a high MOI for those with strokes with little deviation in path. The aluminum face-sole was tweaked to create a great sound and feel through increased vibration dampening material, and both models have a milled sightline in the flange.